Thursday, April 2, 2009

while eating cheesy mac...

today there was a round table, no one sat at the head. i headed the discussion, but not much was said. reading. a handful of teenage boys laughed at the part where the woman had her baby in the kitchen, bare bottomed. first they laughed that a birth would happen in a kitchen. then they laughed because the boy reading couldn't pronounce "bottomed". i don't think he understood what the word meant in that context. i'm not sure he even knows what context means.

i didn't know how to laugh.

the story is about a family who lived during the Great Depression. one boy likened our economy, our times, to theirs. i almost know how to laugh at that, which only makes me wonder about my own disconnect. do i understand the context of this economic situation? do i know what all this means?

2 comments:

HKins said...

Deb you posted on your blog! Fab! So I don't get the context of having a baby in the kitchen "bare bottomed." Perhaps I should have been in your class today. :) Love you much. Oh I'm thinking I might come down tomorrow for lunch cause I need some Deb, Jesse, & Heth time. I'll ring you after work.

shasta said...

bottomliners, undergrounders....